Bogota Volunteer First Aid and Emergency Squad
Post Office Box 264 • Bogota, New Jersey 07603
© 2014 -
Throughout our history the Bogota Volunteer First Aid Squad has operated many different ambulances. Here are some information and photographs (where available) of our retired ambulances.
Our first ambulance was a 1948 Buick Ambulance. It was ordered and placed into service in 1948. In its eleven years of service to Bogota, the 1948 Buick answered 1511 calls.
The 1948 Buick ambulance answered it’s last call on September 19, 1959, transporting a patient from Ridgefield Avenue in Bogota, to Bergen Pine Hospital. It’s ending mileage was 15,463 and Joseph Schmitt was the driver for the final call of the 1948 Buick.
There whereabouts of the 1948 Buick ambulance is unknown.
The second ambulance to serve Bogota was a 1959 Eureka Hi-
The first call with the 1959 Cadillac was on September 21, 1959, transporting a patient from Queen Anne Road in Bogota to Holy Name Hospital. The driver for the first call was George Kennedy, Jr.
The 1959 Cadillac answered its final call in Bogota on July 14, 1969, transporting a patient from Chestnut Avenue in Bogota to Holy Name Hospital. It’s ending mileage was 29,252 and the driver for the final call was Vince Petrick.
The 1959 Cadillac left Bogota in 1969 and was discovered in California in 1995 by Neal Parish. Mr. Parish restored the ambulance to its original condition and later sold its current owners in 2004. The ambulance now resides in Switzerland, after visiting Bogota in October 2013.
For the full story of the 1959 Cadillac Ambulance, click here.
Our third ambulance was a 1969 Cadillac Ambulance. It was ordered and placed into service in 1969. It served Bogota for 6 years.
The photo to the left is NOT a photograph of the Bogota Ambulance. It is similar to the one that served Bogota, and will be replaced when we find a photograph of OUR 1969 Cadillac.
There whereabouts of the 1969 Cadillac ambulance is unknown.
By the mid-
In 1975 Bogota purchased its first ambulance which was mounted on a truck chassis.
Our forth ambulance was a 1975 Chevrolet Ambulance. It was ordered and placed into
service in 1975. It served Bogota for nearly 20 years, though it was re-
Bogota Volunteer First Aid Squad member Wilbur “Skip” Gee was convince in 1978 that the squad needed a second ambulance. Call volume was increasing and there were many occasions where assistance from our neighboring towns was needed to cover a second call for assistance while the first ambulance was in service with another incident.
Skip and others worked tirelessly to investigate the most economical way for the Borough of Bogota to purchase a second ambulance.
After over a year of dedication, the squad was outfitted with a second ambulance for the first time in its history. The 1979 Ambulance was a custom design Ford van, converted by a local custom shop. The vehicle is no longer and ambulance, but is still serving Bogota as a mobile air pack replenishment vehicle for the Bogota Volunteer Fire Department.
Since 1979, the Bogota Volunteer First Aid Squad has operated with two ambulances.
Skip Gee’s efforts, and his foresight to see the need for a second ambulance lives
on today -